LEF invests in documentary film and video projects that demonstrate excellence in technique, originality of vision and voice, and creativity in form. The strongest proposals will be those that clearly articulate the ways in which the proposed project embodies the program’s funding criteria.
- Quality of cinematic form and technique
- Originality of filmmaker’s voice, vision, and point of view
- Resonance and power of the film’s core idea or story
- Feasibility of production
For production and post-production projects, priority will be given to those projects that have received previous LEF funding.
- Projects must be long format; running times of 40 minutes or more.
- Primary creative personnel (director and/or producer) must reside in New England.
- Priority will be given to smaller scale projects with budgets under $350,000.
- Students enrolled in degree-granting programs may not apply.
- Multi-channel or installation work will not be considered.
- Applicants MUST have a fiscal sponsor (a nonprofit with a 501[c]3 designation from the federal government) that has agreed to manage the fiscal activity of the grant.
- For prior grantees, a final report on previous LEF grant funding is required. Previous LEF grantees, please click here for important eligibility information
A maximum of (4) to (6) grants of $5,000 will be awarded to projects in the pre-production phase of development at one June deadline each year. Please click here for more information on how to apply.
Appropriate Use of Funds: Pre-production funds may be used for research, travel, location scouting, script or storyboard development, experimentation with shooting picture and sound, distribution planning, fundraising, creating a trailer, and schedule and budget development.
A maximum of (6) grants of $15,000 each will be awarded to projects in the production phase during LEF’s major grants review. There is one January Deadline for Letters of Inquiry each year. Click here for more information on how to apply.
Appropriate Use of Funds: Production funds may be used for shooting picture and sound, equipment costs, materials, travel, and staffing (creative, technical, or otherwise).
A maximum of (3) grants of $25,000 each will be awarded to projects in the post-production phase during LEF’s major grants review. In order to be eligible for Post-Production support, the project for which you are applying must have received previous LEF support. There is one January deadline for Letters of Inquiry each year. Click here for more information on how to apply.
Appropriate Use of Funds: Post-production funds may be used for editing costs, rights, online, sound mix, color correction, transfers and distribution strategy.